Friday, January 13, 2012

Five Faves Friday - My "Go To" Art Books

I have so many art/craft books! I read them over and over and over. It was really hard to limit this list to just 5, so I am am listing the ones that I keep beside my bed -- the ones that influence me every day. I think that they really give an insight into the art that I am drawn to make -- stitching on fabric and paper, adding some paint and printmaking techniques, scrappy layers, and my big love for making jewelry.....

1. painted pages by sarah ahearn bellemare (look inside at the link)


2. cut it, paste it, sew it by Chisa Itou (look inside at the link)


3. Jewelry Lab by Melissa Manley (look inside at the link)


4. Layered, Tattered & Stitched by Ruth Rae (look inside at the link)

5. Scrapbook Workshop by May Flaum (look inside at the link)



(the links are to Amazon.com -- because the US site has more "look inside" features -- but if you are in Canada, buy them from an independent retailer, or Chapters.ca.... or amazon.ca -- preferably in that order :)

I also look at the Art of Personal Imagery by Corey Moortgat often, and Printmaking and Mixed Media by Dorit Elisha.


What are your favourites? Why?

4 comments:

Leslie Jane Moran said...

What fabulous recommendations. I have not seen any of these. Oh I do love an "expotition" to the bookshops! Thanks for sharing this wealth of information. I always smile when I put your heart ornaments on my tree at Christmas.

A bird in the hand said...

I have three of them. I looked inside Jewelry Lab (on amazon.ca -- they pretty much have the same look-insides now as amazon.com) but you need all that equipment...

I've had the Cut it Paste It on my favorite list for a while now. I've looked inside several times but I can't make up my mind.

Anonymous said...

Martha
I'll be glad when Cut it and Paste it gets nudged off your bedside table and comes for a visit..(I had a look inside). Thanks for the peek.
Love Mom

MarissaDW said...

Thanks for sharing your list of Go To Art books. I have the Art of Personal Imagery. I borrowed a book called Drawing Lab which is somewhat similar to the Jewelry Lab. Now I have a new list to put on hold at the library. I'm sharing my list on my blog at http://marissadw.blogspot.com