Friday, August 20, 2010

Mockingjay

Only 4 more days until Mockingjay!
If you have no idea what I'm talking about -- it's the third book in the Hunger Games Trilogy. I"m quite excited about this third book. I've preordered it so it should be in my hands very soon. I've never preordered a book before -- that's how much I like this series. Read about the books here! (don't read the whole plot synopsis -- there are huge spoilers). It's all about government control, power and the lack of civil rights. The Hunger games would be a great teacher lead novel study for Grade Eight (and up).

The Hunger Games introduces sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen who lives in a post apocalyptic world where a powerful government called the Capitol has risen up after several devastating disasters. The Hunger Games are an annual televised event where the Capitol chooses one boy and one girl from each district to a fight. The purpose of the Hunger Games is to show how no one, including children are above the Capitol's power. The last person standing wins the game. Yes, the fights are to the death. The winning district gets a year of wealth (yet still lose one child). The losing districts lose 2 children, year after year. Yes, it is appalling. It makes you angry. It makes you think. That's what good books do......

5 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

I may have to try this series - always appreciate good book recommendations.

Rebecca said...

I absolutely love The Hunger Games and I pre-ordered Mockingjay too :) Can't wait!

Kristin said...

Sounds cool! I hope you enjoy it.
Thank you for your sweet comments - they really mean so much. I hope you get to finish it and if you post it, PLEASE let me know!
Kristin xo

Anonymous said...

I am still getting over the road as far as post apolcalyptic reads go, so I'll have to take your word for it.

Denise said...

My daughter and I just finished listening to "Hunger Games". She couldn't beleive that I had not put the next book on my iPod.