Thursday, October 14, 2010

The problem with ipads....

My ipad was an early birthday present from Mr. B. I think that I squealed and jumped up and down last week when he gave it to me. I find it incredibly annoying, however, that it doesn't support Flash. Pretty much all of the online magazines (independent ones) are done with Flash Media.

Another thing: it's really hard to touch type on the on-screen keyboard. I'll be buying a keyboard and dock really soon. And a camera connector. The ipad seems like a pretty economical alternative to a laptop. But after you buy all of those (necessary) accessories, it's not, really. I'm still jumping up and down and squealing though......

AND the worst part -- it can't read most epub books. How annoying is that? it is definitely not a replacement for the KOBO -- which will read downloaded books from the library. So now I have to carry around the ipad, the kobo and the cell phone. Yes, cell phone. Lauren bought an iphone and I got my cell phone back (after 10ish years). I'm not really into talking on the phone, but I love to text.... I feel so.... connected......

Anyway, I made myself a pretty ipad cover. I'm also making a little board with slippery fabric on one side and flannel on the other to slide into the case to protect the screen from bumps (slippery so it will slide in easily against the fabric, flannel so it doesn't scratch the screen). The little board can be used in all of my ipad covers. Good idea, non?

8 comments:

Lynette (NZ) said...

Lovely idea - and those flowers are divine. Pleased to see you are getting some creative you time :-)

Fran S said...

Depending upon the format of the library book, you might be able to read it. I use GoodReader as an option for PDF books. I love it because I can set the font however I want.

Leslie Jane Moran said...

Good idea OUI! I need to make one for my larger than necessary laptop. It's 18 inch and the only neoprene sleeves are for 15 inch. Great idea. You just needed this down time for inspiration. Hope you are feeling better each day. Courage (say that with a french accent :))

Anonymous said...

Ijust wanted to comment on how beautiful your cover is.M-m-m-m.
But it's so interesting to discover that you can change a book's font. Amazing. My thanks to artsyfran.
Mom

Heather Simpson-Bluhm said...

Gorgeous cover.. you so lucky!! I am hoping for an iPad for xmas maybe :)

Joanne Huffman said...

Beautiful - and practical - cover. I still don't have an iPad yet. You are going to be such a technological queen with all your devices. I hope your recovery is continuing and that you feel better every day.

Joanne Huffman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan Williamson said...

Even if it's annoying the iPad doesn't support Flash (how long will that last?) it looks super cool with the cover you made.