Sunday, April 17, 2011

Earth Day ATCs


It's been a long time since I've made and trades ATCs. I've missed going to the meetings and seeing the very creative work that everyone has been doing. For the earth day theme, everyone reused something that was going into the trash or recycling bin. I'm not sure if this was stipulated or not.... I have a paper shopping bag in my studio that I fill up with paper scraps and when it gets full, I toss it into my recycling bin. For these cards I raided this bag!

For the bases I used corrugated cardoard that I had soaked and peeled into 3 layers, then dried (this gives a nice strong paper base -- it's what Hanne Matthiesen does). then I spread on a layer of gesso, added some ephemera (ttc transfers and book scraps), then stitched the card to another layer to make it a bit sturdier. Then I added more gesso, then stamped on some "recycle" logos (from one of the first stamp sets that I purchased from Phillip's store, Great Impressions when it was in Queens Quay! -- before it moved to Bloor and Barb bought it to create Bizzy Bs). I also got to use one of my favourite stamps from River City Rubber Works -- It's not trash, It's "ephemera"...


(click on the pictures to see them a bit bigger)

15 comments:

K J D said...

I wish I was playing!!!! These are all gorgeous - they made me :)

Karen

linda said...

oh, they are lovely!

Leslie Jane Moran said...

This is genius ...really! Great that you had the recycle stamp. I remember visiting Phillip at Queen's Quay in the day. Lovely work...love this sewing on paper. I'm hooked.

Numinosity said...

These are great and thanks for the tip on the corrugated.
Love the slogan, I can relate!
xoxo Kim

Unknown said...

These are so fabulous!
You're inspiring me to create with Earth Day coming up and all... LOVE that stamp!!!!

jocelyn said...

I love these ATC's! That's incredible productivity too!

Anonymous said...

Love all your cards. They are absolutely fabulous! Love the history and the stamp. Just love it all.
Daniza

kandeland said...

I just LOVE these Martha! I've been loving atcs again lately! I go through spurts where i make them and then i don't. but really, these are fantastic!! have a great week, xo nat

Joanne Huffman said...

What cool ATCs!

Heather Simpson-Bluhm said...

LOVE these Recycled ATCS!!!

Kristin said...

Oh my goodness! These are lovely! I love the soft, romantic look of them - wonderful, beautiful work, xo

Anonymous said...

Beautiful ATCs! And thanks for giving me the credit for the cardboard base ...

Wish you a happy & creative EASTER!!!

Susan Williamson said...

These are amazing Martha. I wish I had been trading.

Susan Williamson said...

These are amazing Martha. I wish I had been trading.

Dena said...

I really enjoyed seeing these, thanks!