Sunday, September 18, 2011

Still squeezing in some creativity

In between being terribly sick (bad cold) and all of the necessary school planning (split grades = lots of work), I made a new lanyard today! It's for my classroom key and my other necessity -- my lip balm :). A whistle and my school ID will go on there too -- last year's version broke in half.


My old lanyard was about 10 years old and was starting to fall apart. So I made a new one. One that is very "me"! I don't expect it to last 10 years though. So I think that I'll make an assortment of them and wear them as jewelry. I'm not sure if you can see from the photo, but I've hand sewn some buttons on there, in addition to some of my favourite abc fabric scraps and other text fabric. And of course, lots of tea dyed muslin and cheesecloth....

9 comments:

jocelyn said...

Hi Martha. I hope you're feeling better. How the heck do you find time to make any art? I still want to see what you made in Arizona!

Kelly Kilmer said...

Feel better!!!

Love the groovy lanyard!

Elizabeth said...

It happens every year!! In a room with all of those little guys and who gets sick??? Poor Teacher!! hope you feel better soon!! Love your lanyard!!!
Wish that I could wave a wand and make you all better!!! Rest up!!

Maija said...

Brilliant idea Martha!!! I hope you feel better soon my friend!!

A bird in the hand said...

I loved the lanyard when I saw it, as you know. I think you should make some for your etsy shop.
xoxo

Halle said...

Awesome lanyard! When I worked in Special Ed we had to have quick release ones for safety. No fun ones.

Heather Simpson-Bluhm said...

super cute and clever....

jane eileen said...

I love it! That is my favorite abc fabric, too. Have you any idea if is is still for sale anywhere. I only have the tiniest bit left.

Joanne Huffman said...

Very cool looking. I like the idea of lanyard as fashion statement.