Friday, October 22, 2010

Why we needed a new comforter

When Mr Bs 19 year old son came to live with us, I put a puffy vintage green and yellow quilt on the bed. A few months later he says "Martha, that blanket has a hole in it" I said "Okay, bring it down, I'll put a patch on it" , thinking that I'd sew a sprinkling of vintage fabric leaves on it....

Ummmm, so here's the hole:

That's not a hole, that's a crater! All of the quilting thread is missing off of the yellow part.....

So I cut out the batting (hmmm, that's WOOL batting... I'll have to save that and dye it and needle felt it into little hearts)(no, I'm still not a hoarder).


Then I cut new batting (cotton) and pinned it all in.



Then I basted the opening down.

Then I pinned and re-quilted the layers. Hey! It worked! The original was hand quilted with embroidery thread, but I machine quilted this. And now I know that I can machine quilt right to the centre of a quilt...(hmmmm .... the possibilities........).


Then I sewed on two strips of fabric... I was planning to sew on the sprinkling of leaves..but I'm going to leave it like this.


Now it will be put away and used when there are guests...

13 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

You certainly made a beautiful repair - out of "hole" cloth : ).

Elizabeth said...

YIKES!!!! If he is anything like my 18year old you might ask him to cut his toenails!! I have ahd several cheapo comforters go the way of the crater becuase of Matts talons!!!!
You did a fabulous repair !!! i think that you are feeling better and are having some fun project time????
Not in a million years would nayone think that you were a hoarder??? Cuz if you are then I am too- and that can't be!!! Owl is on it's way as of Tuesday!!!!

MarissaDW said...

Wow, it's great to have someone, so handy with the sewing machine. I love how you fixed it. It's beautiful!

vivian said...

Wow miss Martha! I am thoroughly impressed! it turned out great. I have to admit that I laughed right out loud when I saw how ripped up it was! And really I give you a lot of credit as I would have thrown it away!!
I'm glad you fixed it, it looks great!
happy weekend
vivian

Heather Simpson-Bluhm said...

You are brilliant. I would have just scrapped the whole thing.. LOL Great job!

Kim Mailhot said...

Wow ! You are good !

Kristin said...

WOWZER! That's an incredible repair job! You are so talented, xo

EG CameraGirl said...

What a lot of work! It looks great now. :)

Susan Williamson said...

What an absolutely great post Martha! It was a conceptual art piece come to life.

Maija said...

I can't believe how beautifully you salvaged that comforter!!! It looks fabulous!!!

blue moss said...

Amazing job.....I am totally impressed.

Unknown said...

Wow Martha! Incredible job, it looks soooo goood!

Leslie said...

I can't believe how you fixed that! Beautiful!