Friday, October 22, 2010

Why we needed a new comforter

When Mr Bs 19 year old son came to live with us, I put a puffy vintage green and yellow quilt on the bed. A few months later he says "Martha, that blanket has a hole in it" I said "Okay, bring it down, I'll put a patch on it" , thinking that I'd sew a sprinkling of vintage fabric leaves on it....

Ummmm, so here's the hole:

That's not a hole, that's a crater! All of the quilting thread is missing off of the yellow part.....

So I cut out the batting (hmmm, that's WOOL batting... I'll have to save that and dye it and needle felt it into little hearts)(no, I'm still not a hoarder).


Then I cut new batting (cotton) and pinned it all in.



Then I basted the opening down.

Then I pinned and re-quilted the layers. Hey! It worked! The original was hand quilted with embroidery thread, but I machine quilted this. And now I know that I can machine quilt right to the centre of a quilt...(hmmmm .... the possibilities........).


Then I sewed on two strips of fabric... I was planning to sew on the sprinkling of leaves..but I'm going to leave it like this.


Now it will be put away and used when there are guests...

13 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

You certainly made a beautiful repair - out of "hole" cloth : ).

Elizabeth said...

YIKES!!!! If he is anything like my 18year old you might ask him to cut his toenails!! I have ahd several cheapo comforters go the way of the crater becuase of Matts talons!!!!
You did a fabulous repair !!! i think that you are feeling better and are having some fun project time????
Not in a million years would nayone think that you were a hoarder??? Cuz if you are then I am too- and that can't be!!! Owl is on it's way as of Tuesday!!!!

MarissaDW said...

Wow, it's great to have someone, so handy with the sewing machine. I love how you fixed it. It's beautiful!

vivian said...

Wow miss Martha! I am thoroughly impressed! it turned out great. I have to admit that I laughed right out loud when I saw how ripped up it was! And really I give you a lot of credit as I would have thrown it away!!
I'm glad you fixed it, it looks great!
happy weekend
vivian

Heather said...

You are brilliant. I would have just scrapped the whole thing.. LOL Great job!

Kim Mailhot said...

Wow ! You are good !

Kristin said...

WOWZER! That's an incredible repair job! You are so talented, xo

EG Wow said...

What a lot of work! It looks great now. :)

Susan Williamson said...

What an absolutely great post Martha! It was a conceptual art piece come to life.

Maija said...

I can't believe how beautifully you salvaged that comforter!!! It looks fabulous!!!

blue moss said...

Amazing job.....I am totally impressed.

Cynthia Elizabeth Anderson said...

Wow Martha! Incredible job, it looks soooo goood!

Leslie said...

I can't believe how you fixed that! Beautiful!